These quotes about loss of a friend might be exactly what you need to get through this difficult time.
Losing a friend is one of the most difficult experiences we can go through in life. The pain and sadness that come with saying goodbye can be overwhelming and make us feel lost and helpless.
But although it may seem impossible, there is still hope amidst the sorrow. There are many inspiring quotes out there that offer comfort when mourning the loss of a friend.
These encouraging words remind us that even though our friends may no longer be physically present, their memory will live on in our hearts forever.
In this blog post, we will explore some of these uplifting quotes about losing a friend so you can find solace during your time of grief.
Goodbye quotes about loss of a friend
1. “The two hardest things to say in life is hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” – Moira Rogers
2. “We can’t feel the loss of a friend until they are apart from us.” – Debolina
3. “The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.” – Robert Southey
4. “When friendship leaves us through death, we feel cheated in life. Life doesn’t play fair, so I vow to win the game for us both.”– Amy Hoover
5. “The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one.” – Seneca
6. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” – Alfred Tennyson
7. “Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart.” – Washington Irving
8. “There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains.”
9. “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly – that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”– Anne Lamott
10. “The grief over her loss impacted every facet of my life, including my friendships.” – Lauren Wagehoft
11. “On the death of a friend, we should consider that the fates through confidence have devolved on us the task of a double living, that we have henceforth to fulfill the promise of our friend’s life also, in our own, to the world.” – Henry David Thoreau
12. “To lose a friend is the greatest of all losses.” – Publius Syrus
13. “Life without a friend is like death without a witness.” – John Ray
Powerful quotes of losing a friend
14. “It hurt because it mattered.” – John Green
15. “And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.”– Maya Angelou
16. “One day we will remember how lucky we were to have known their love, with wonder, not grief.”
17. “At the blueness of skies and in the warmth of summer, we remember them.” – Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Reimer
18. “We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love.” – Anne L. de Stael
19. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
20. “Do not think of me as gone – I am with you still – in each new dawn.” – Robin Drummond
21. “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” – Richard Bach
22. “The value of life is revealed when it confronts death from close quarters.” – Apoorve Dubey
23. “A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted – mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.”– Morgan Matson
24. “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
25. “I love you every day. And now I will miss you every day.” – Mitch Albom
26. “I don’t think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that remains.” – Anne Frank
27. “Whether we live for 3 weeks, 3 years, 30 years or 90 years, life is a precious thing, each day a gift.”
28. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
29. “To lose a friend is hardship, but to forget them is as if you died too.”
30. “One of the difficult things about growing older is that you start losing so many friends. On the other hand, the older you get, the less time you have to wait until you see them again.” – Ron Brackin
31. “A true friend is never truly gone. Their spirit lives on in the memories of those who loved them.” – Amy Hoover
Quotes about the loss of a friend to help bring you comfort
32. “Carrying on your friend’s legacy is a dutiful task. Trying to live a lesson they taught through their way of life is a way to honor them.”
33. “We need to grieve the ones we have loved and lost in this lifetime – not to sustain our connection to suffering, but to sustain our connection to love.”
34. “Don’t spend time beating yourself down if one has come to an end or is heading in that direction. Take the time to grieve, take the time to process, but do not let it destroy you.”
35. “In the garden of memory, in the palace of dreams…that is where you and I shall meet.”
36. “Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving heals them.” – Leo Tolstoy
37. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
38. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” – Dr. Seuss
39. “The bond between friends cannot be broken by chance; no interval of time or space can destroy it. Not even death itself can part true friends.” – John Cassian
40. “I cannot accept your death, for you will always be my friend.”
41. “Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorry, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.”
42. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
43. “Memories are there to remind us of things that have gone before.” – John Peter Read
44. “A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again.”– Maya Angelou
45. “A lesson for all of us is that for every loss, there is victory, for every sadness, there is joy, and when you think you’ve lost everything, there is hope.” – Geraldine Solon
46. “Day by day, we will let go of this loss, but we will never let go of our love.”
Quotes about friends passing away to help us move on
46. “Memories of friendship will always have a special place in your heart. The best thing you can do is smile and let it go.”
47. “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day… unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear.”
48. “Man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and hold its peace in impotence.” – Joseph Roux
49. “There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.” – Nicholas Sparks
50. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
51. “The world changes from year to year, our lives from day to day, but the love and memory of you, shall never pass away.”
52. “They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity. Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
53. “Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch.” – Jack Thorne
54. “Death may indeed be final but the love we share while living is eternal.” – Donal E. Williams Jr.
55. “When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.”
56. “Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before. Advanced a stage or two upon that road – Which you must travel in the steps they trod.”– Aristophanes
57. “The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer is God.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
58. “It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.”
Uplifting quotes about losing friends
59. “Grief is in two parts. The first is loss. The second is the remaking of life.” – Anne Roiphe
60. “Grief never ends but it changes. It’s a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love.”
61. “May the peach that comes from the memories of love shared, comfort you now and in the days ahead.”
62. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can seal.”
63. “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” – Kahlil Gibran
64. “May there be comfort in knowing that someone so special will never be forgotten.” – Julie Hébert
65. “Nothing will ever take away our memories.” – Catherine Pulsifer
66. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Mitch Albom
67. “As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.” – Leonardo DaVinci
68. “When we lose someone we love we must learn not to live without them, but to live with the love they left behind.”
69. “Angels are always near to those who are grieving. To whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hands of God.”
70. “All deaths are sudden, no matter how gradual the dying may be.” – Michael McDowell
71. “Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.” – Marcel Proust
72. “Say not in grief that they are gone, but give thanks that they were yours.” – Hebrew Proverb
Losing friends quotes to help make you feel better
73. “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.”– Eskimo Saying
74. “At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer we remember them.” – Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Reimer
75. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodby so hard.” – Winnie The Pooh
76. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
77. “May love be what you remember most.” – Darcie Sims
78. “The only cure for grief is to grieve.” – Earl Grollman
79. “You see, my father taught me that even our most profound losses are survivable. And that is – it is what we do with that loss – our ability to transform it into a positive event – that is one of my father’s greatest lessons.” – Ted Kennedy Jr.
80. “There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.” – Aeschylus
81. “Deep down inside we always seek for our departed loved ones.” – Munia Khan
Emotional losing your best friend quotes
82. “It can be one of the hardest things in life to lose your best friend.” – Buddha
83. “I cried endlessly when you died but I promise, I won’t let the tears mar the smiles that you’ve given me when you were alive.”
84. “If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together…there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…I’ll always be with you.”– Winnie The Pooh
85. “Life moves on but memories don’t. You may have gone but our friendship won’t. I miss you.”
86. “Farewell to thee! But not farewell to all my fondest thoughts of thee. Within my heart they still shall dwell; And they shall cheer and comfort me.” – Anne Bronte
87. “Memories are the one place we can visit those we’ve lost. Since memories are portable, we can take our lost loved ones with us anywhere at any time.”
89. “I missed you today, just as I missed you yesterday. Just as I will miss you for the rest of my life.”
90. “A good friend knows your best stories. A best friend has been there to live them with you.”
91. “You’re not here, but your presence lingers in the shadows. you don’t see what I see, but I hear you laughing with me when I laugh. You don’t know what I feel, but I feel you, feeling for me.”
Sympathetic quotes about losing a friend
92. “Words seem so feeble in moments like these. Life is so precious and death such a thief. The depth of your pain, I cannot comprehend, but I’ll stand alongside you in the darkness, my friend. Love is a bond that death cannot part. Gone from your arms but still in your heart.” – John Mark Green
93. “Grief and love are conjoined, you don’t get one without the other.” – Jandy Nelson
94. “How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts.”
95. “Wishing you smiles amid the tears as you remember happy times with your loyal companion and friend.”
96. “Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there is a trail of beautiful memories.”
97. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” – Queen Elizabeth II
98. “Words, however, kind can’t mend your heartache, but those who care and share your loss wish you comfort and peace of mind. May you find strength in the love of family and in the warm embrace of friends.”
99. “As you danced in the light with joy, love lifted you. As you brushed against this world so gently, you lifted us.”
100. “I gently rise and softly call, good night and joy be to you all.” – Irish Blessing
101. “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
Losing a friend is never easy. It requires us to grieve, reflect, and keep that special person close in our hearts.
Use these quotes as a reminder of the good times you shared and as strength for when things seem bleak.
Remember that we can all get through tough times together with a little love and support from those around us.
Living life without them will be hard but their memories will always remain alive in your heart. So stay strong and take comfort during this difficult time.
You are not alone.
Given the immense pain of loss comes the opportunity to heal and grow stronger through it; if we choose to embrace it instead of running away from it.
Take your time to mourn, remember, and heal.
And know that your loved one will always be with you, living in the legacy they left behind.
Helping people and eating tacos are my jam! This blog exists to help provide tips and resources that can help you achieve your goals and live a better life. Whether you’re looking for tips on personal growth, fitness, advice on starting a side hustle, or resources for working remotely, I’ve got you covered.