Today’s collection of expectations quotes can help you reframe the way you live and see the world. They are simple, but have a powerful impact on how we look at our lives.
We often put a lot of pressure on ourselves to meet expectations that we might not be able to achieve, and then feel down about it and give up.
But the truth is, life doesn’t have to be hard if you focus on what really matters – your happiness. We hope these quotes on expectations will help you take a new perspective on life or even just give you a glimpse of what can be possible when you open your mind and look at things in a new light.
Expectations Quotes & Sayings
1. “If you expect nothing from somebody, you are never disappointed.” – Sylvia Plath
2. “My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus.” – Stephen Hawking
3. “Expectation feeds frustration. It is an unhealthy attachment to people, things, and outcomes we wish we could control; but don’t.” – Steve Maraboli
4. “Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation.”
5. “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” – Bruce Lee
6. “The secret of happiness is low expectations.” – Barry Schwartz
7. “There is no joy involved in following others’ expectations of yourself.” – Miriam Toews
8. “There are ways to be happy: Improve your reality or lower your expectations.”
9. “It’s a good place when all you have is hope and not expectations.” – Danny Boyle
10. “Silly me, expecting too much from people again.”
11. “Expect more from yourself than from others. Because expectations from others hurt a lot, while expectations from yourself inspire a lot. That’s life.”
12. “Keep your expectations high on achievement and low on people.”
13. “Don’t blame people for disappointing you, blame yourself for expecting too much from them.”
14. “The secret to happiness is having low expectations.” – Warren Buffett
15. “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” – William Shakespeare
16. “Once you give up expectations, you have learned to live.”
17. “High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.” – Charles Kettering
Relationship Expectations Quotes
18. “No regrets, just lessons. No worries, just acceptance. No expectations, just gratitude. Life is too short.”
19. “We all have this perfect picture in our minds of how things are supposed to be and that’s why we all end up being disappointed.”
20. “Trade your expectations for appreciation and see how your relationship will transform.”
21. “Expectation feeds frustration as it’s simply an illusive form of control by attempting to grip the reins that aren’t ours to hold. Breathe. Release. Let go. Allow your life naturally, quietly unfold.” – Victoria Erickson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of focus on yourself quotes for more inspiration.
22. “Two things can destroy any relationship: Unrealistic expectations and poor communication.”
23. “Failed relationships aren’t designed to lower our expectations, but to raise our standards.”
24. “Never make someone a priority who only makes you an option.”
25. “You know what’s the one wrong thing we all do when we fall in love? We Expect. And it just ruins everything.”
26. “Truly loving another means letting go of all expectations. It means full acceptance, even celebration of another’s personhood.”
27. “Expecting one person to meet all your needs is unrealistic. Creating a balance of reaching out and relying on self helps relationships stay healthy.”
28. “Letting go of a failing relationship is not as hard as clinging on to unrealistic expectations.”
29. “Unrealistic expectations are often the seeds of bitterly stuffed emotions.” – Lisa TerKeurst
30. “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” – Donald Miller
31. “Simple relations become complicated when you expect too much.”
More Expectations Quotes and Sayings To Help Avoid Disappointment
32. “Keep expectations to a minimum. You’ll be less disappointed that way.”
33. “I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep my expectations.” – Bill Watterson
34. “I don’t have expectations with people, but I have very high standards for myself. The only time I get disappointed in life is when I disappoint myself.” – Chronixx
35. “Never give meaning to a little act of sweetness. It might give you a wrong impression or expectation.”
36. “Once you give up expectations, you have learned to live.” – Osho
37. “Life delivers far less disappointment when your expectations are low.” – Brad Meltzer
38. “Never assume that someone loves you. If they love you, they’ll tell you, show you, or be with you. Assumptions lead to heartbreak.” – Sonya Parker
39. “Nobody seems to care that with every push to live up to their expectations, my own dreams vaporize.” – Elen Hopkins
40. “What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it’s suppose to be.”
41. “Who hurt you? My own expectations.”
42. “Put your expectations on God, not on people.” – Joyce Meyer
43. “The key in letting go is practice. Each time we let go, we disentangle ourselves form our expectations and begin to experience things as they are.” – Sharon Salzberg
44. “Remove expectations from people, and you’ll remove their power to hurt your feelings.” – Vex King
45. “Life is largely a matter of expectation.” – Horace
46. “Life is an experiment in which you may fail or succeed. Explore more, expect least.” – Santosh Kalwar
Which expectations quotes were your favorite?
“It’s not about what you expect, it’s about how you feel.” This is a great quote to live by.
We hope that these quotes helped to remind you of the importance of living in the moment and enjoying each day for all its worth.
Everyone has different expectations when they enter anything new, such as a job or relationship. Just remember that those are your own personal desires, so don’t let them dictate who you become!
Helping people and eating tacos are my jam! This blog exists to help provide tips and resources that can help you achieve your goals and live a better life. Whether you’re looking for tips on personal development, advice on starting a side hustle, or resources for working remotely, I’ve got you covered.